The Hive is a network of people working in Mt Druitt, to bring together the community, services, businesses, government, and philanthropy to address locally identified priorities. We are on the ground facilitating local community change and influencing systems to ensure every child in Mt Druitt starts school well.
While there is a long history of quality service delivery in Mt Druitt, this has not achieved lasting community change. Collaboration is lacking between those working and living in Mt Druitt. When service delivery organisations, communities, businesses, government and philanthropy collaborate, no one falls through the gaps.
When we listen to the aspirations, strengths and challenges of people who live in Mt Druitt – and respond together – it is not ‘business as usual’. The Hive network draws on local knowledge and global evidence to develop collaborative local solutions that ensure every child in Mount Druitt starts school ready to thrive in life.
We know Mt Druitt families are:
However, we also know that in Mt Druitt:
- 1 in 3 children start school developmentally vulnerable on 1 or more AEDC domains
- The number of children at ‘risk of significant harm’ is more than double the state average
- NAPLAN performance is significantly below the NSW school average
- Unemployment is more than double the NSW average
- Domestic assault is 2.5 times higher than the NSW average
- Robbery rates are 4 times higher than NSW average
The Hive believe a different approach to service delivery is required to tackle these huge
complexities and find solutions. Together with organisations and residents, we are:
- Ecological & Holistic